Over the last 8 weeks I've raced 11 times and not yet tasted victory. This was getting old. But like they say, never give up and good things do come to those who wait. And in my case, learn! So what have I learnt that I managed to put into practice today?
- 4 weeks of training is at least 4 weeks of training. Feels a damn site better putting out high effort when you've actually practiced it!
- Nutrition. Yes, you'd think as a Dietitian I'd have this dialed in, but I have been struggling with timing for a 1:30 start - too late for a big breakfast to last, too early to eat lunch. I finally figured out a strategy.
- Move up as quickly through the men as possible. They can't help you and will only lose you seconds if you hesitate.
- Keep your competition in site. It's a mental game really, if you have a bunny to chase you work harder to catch up.
- Use your gears! It's way easier to accelerate out of a corner in the correct gear - duh!
- Stay focused. Knowing where you are in the race and that you are on the last lap means you can take advantage of situations that present themselves. Today I was in 2nd until the last lap. Took the lead in the last lap hoping to get a gap, but got passed again close to the end. That's all it took. I locked on to her wheel and rode it to the pavement before the finish line. I'd been here before and it was going to happen again. I gave it everything to get past her and finally got my win of the season. By 6 inches maybe, at tops!